Re: [VHFcontesting] Fwd: Larry Filby, K1LPS SK

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Fwd: Larry Filby, K1LPS SK
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 20:05:56 -0300
Sad news Gerry.back when I was super serious about VHF I could always count
on Chip and Larry for my VT QSO's

If I worked one, I was almost guaranteed to work the other, as one would go
inform the other that I was on 144.222 (or wherever I was) and I thought
that was unusual that they were good about that. (I wouldn't normally go
tell VE9CB that W2SZ/1 was on 144.215MHz for example.

Good guy work between them.

I'm not too active these days on VHF, but I remember many of those QSO's

Mike VE9AA

VHF Contesting friends,

I am very sad to report that Larry passed away yesterday.  His cancer and

returned, and come on strong.

My wife grew up near Larry (who is from Cabot, VT).

Larry's daughter and 40+ year friend, Chip, W1AIM, were tending to him near

his last moments.  His wife died a few years ago.

Larry was one of the best -- active in everything from 160-10GHz, EME and

everything in between.  An active builder.    We would swap many great

stories every time I would see him in person.

I can't count the thousands of QSOs we had over the years.

Rest well, good friend.  I hope the propagation in heaven is good.  DIT DIT.

Gerry W1VE

One of W2SZ/1 MGEF VHF Contest crew

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB