[VHFcontesting] Regional 2 Meter Activity & Interest Vary Greatly

To: johnnykludt@gmail.com, paul@n1bug.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Regional 2 Meter Activity & Interest Vary Greatly
From: peter h via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 00:40:58 +0000 (UTC)
25Sept19 (2 days past Equinox)

For the 2 meter SPRINT, I operated from a hilltop (1017 ft msl) in Thousand
Oaks, CA (DM04ne), Ventura Co., CA. This is an unusual area because we have
high mountain ranges in all directions except toward Pt.Mugu & Pt. Heuneme.
Additionally, weak signal activity is not overly popular in SB & LA Sections.
Almost always, I post VHF/UHF Contest announcements at local club chat rooms,
ARRL SB Section, wswss, pnwvhfs, w6yx, etc.

I used an FT817 + 3 element yagi and worked 8 stations (ALL in Ventura County)
on FM from 7 - 8 pm; despite repeated CQs on 144.200 I heard no one, much less
working anyone.
Cumulative distance worked was ~56 km and best DX was 32 km to Eastern Ventura
City. All QSOs were made with members of 2 local clubs. 4 of locals submitted
scores to 3830: a RECORD.

By contrast, during the ARRL Sept. VHF Contest, I made 150 QSOs (70+ unique
callsigns) on 5 bands from our CN87tw vacation location on a ridgeline ~500ft
msl next to the Puget Sound.

I have stayed out of the voice - data controversy, but am still not delighted
with how so much activity has moved to the FT modes. After many decades, I
still like to key a microphone and attempt CW if signals are very poor.

bt73
Pete, N6ZE/K1FJM of DM04ne & CN87tw