Re: [VHFcontesting] [nmvhf] 2019 January VHF Contest Results on Line

To: nmvhf@groups.io
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [nmvhf] 2019 January VHF Contest Results on Line
From: Mike H <mph@sportscliche.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 22:38:25 -0600
Good writeup, but I’m not at all pessimistic. Give it time. 2m will again be
the band of choice in January VHF once people realize they can use FT8 there,
specifically the national calling frequency of 144.174. No need to do anything
to the WSJT-X software as custom 13 character free-form messages are already
available for that purpose, eg. “QSY 50313” would do the trick. And don’t
forget the availability of chat rooms during VHF contests to help folks find
each other.

I think the primary reason ops were hanging out on 6m FT8 was for the chance to
score a quick multiplier when the freak, short-lived Es pops up. There were
quite a few of these in the recent January contest. Very doubtful these could
be exploited with traditional analog modes. The best contesters are going to
use all available tools to maximize their scores and having another one in the
arsenal simply makes things more interesting. Exciting times ahead, yes, even
on the higher bands.
 -FKO