Re: [VHFcontesting] Microwave Energy Directed at Overseas Personnel?

To: "Steve(K1IIG)" <stephen.tripp@snet.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Microwave Energy Directed at Overseas Personnel?
From: James Heck <jamesvheck@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 17:07:07 -0700
Greetings to All,
Perhaps something should be said about "radiation".  It comes in two kinds
: ionizing and non-ionizing. Their difference has to do with the wavelength
of the signal and what those signals do to our bodies when they strike us.

Ionizing energy causes electrons to be stripped from the atoms they strike.
That destroys our tissue and organs. We call it radiation poisoning, and it
will indeed kill you as it did to many people living in Nagasaki and
Hiroshima , Japan. The sun and nuclear explosions are sources of ionizing
energy.

Non-ionizing energy does not strip electrons off the atoms in our body. It
does however cause those atoms [and cells] to vibrate back and forth
rapidly. As the cells vibrate they take energy from the signal. This causes
the cells and tissues of our body to heat. If the cell over heat they are
damaged...…..or it could be said we are "cooked". Microwave ovens use this
vibration phenomime to heat food.

Not being cooked is controlled by a number of factors. Here are the most
important:

1. If our body is small compared to the wavelength of the signal's energy,
it will not absorb much of the signal.
2.  Your body has a blood circulatory system which will carry the heat to
your outer skin surface and lungs where it is conducted out or off of the
body. Therefore, little or no damage results. You will sense "heat" if you
are being exposed to a signal level your body is having trouble cooling
down from.  Eyes, which have little blood circulation, are the most easily
damaged organ of our body from the heating situation. And thus the old
saying "never look down a waveguide" is still true today.

Therefore, we can conclude that the danger to the human body from
non-ionizing radiation sources exists when the signal wavelength compares
to or is smaller than our bodies. That would be signals in the VHF, UHF,
and microwave wavelengths/frequencies.

OSHA has established required maximum radiation levels standards for people
working in both ionizing and non-ionizing areas. People working around
large active microwave antennas or on broadcast towers, which have FM and
television installations, need to pay close attention to OSHA standards
which are intended to keep them from harm.

Recovery from radiation energy injuries is a slow process without happy
outcomes guaranteed. The reason is that the radiation damage tends to go
deep into our tissues and organs. Our bodies will have a rather serious up
hill climb to recovery  the function of those important organs.

Regards to All
Jim Heck, W7JVH
retired director of engineering of radio HCJB-Ecuador, S.A.

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>