Re: [VHFcontesting] Transverters

To: Bill Olson <callbill@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Transverters
From: Mark Spencer <mark@alignedsolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 11:37:22 -0800
Bill nice post and you have more or less summed up my current thoughts re
roving and transvetrers.

I'll just mention that in my experience I have found it is helpful to have
radios dedicated to 50  (and if possible 144 MHz) on a full time basis while
roving.  As much as I would like to use my IC 7300 as an IF radio I like using
it full time for 50 MHz.

I do like the remote control head feature of my ICOM 706 MkiiG's but not
unsurprisingly the 7300 does seem to work better on 50 MHz.    I'm hoping I
will see a similar improvement on 144 and 432 if I switch to a 9700 for those
bands.

I'm still flip flopping between carrying the 7300 in a transit case while
driving and setting it up when I stop driving or shelf mounting in the cab of
my truck.  A 9700 will present a similar dilemma.   The price point of those
radios doesn't allow me to rationalize breaking one of them on a roving outing
and the lack of remote control head makes them more vulnerable to catastrophic
damage in my view.

I still have the 706's to use for monitoring while driving and in some
circumstances I may still use them as my main radios and leave the more
expensive radios at home.

73

Mark S
VE7AFZ

mark@alignedsolutions.com
604 762 4099

> On Dec 17, 2018, at 11:03 AM, Bill Olson <callbill@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all, Here's my take on all this. The nice thing about transverters,
> especially ones with high dynamic range mixers, is that they preserve the
> good features of the IF rig. If the IF rig is an HF transceiver which
> (because it's meant to be used on the crowded HF bands) has great
> selectivity, low phase noise, and other state of the art features like modern
> noise blankers, well you know, all the bells and whistles, etc, then you have
> a VHF/UHF rig that will really perform for weak signals on a crowded band on
> VHF. The down side is extra complexity, more cables, more boxes, more stuff
> to go wrong etc. Many of the new HF/VHF/UHF rigs are pretty good on
> selectivity and dynamic range, maybe not that great on sensitivity. But for
> roving on 6,2,432, even 1296, these rigs are probably the way to go. Add PA's
> and preamps if needed. Using the same rig as an IF for a 222 transverter
> makes sense (certainly better than an HTX100!). On the higher "microwave"
> bands a separate IF rig might make se
 ns