[VHFcontesting] Antenna Question

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Antenna Question
From: Alex <alex@kr1st.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2018 11:55:52 -0400
Hi there,

I'm still getting my feet wet on VHF and I'm contemplating which antennas to put up next for 6 and 2 meters.

Initially I was thinking of installing a M2 2M9SSB for 2 meters, but then noticed the Cushcraft/MFJ LFA-2M9EL. I don't find much on the web about the latter antenna with regard to construction, assembly experience, etc.

Has anyone any experience with the Cushcraft/MFJ LFA-2M9EL they could share, or an opinion on which antenna you'd prefer? I'm mainly interested in sensitivity to detuning due to rain, show and ice, and construction quality.

The same goes for 6 meters. I'm looking at the 6M3 (6M5xxx would be nice, but the price difference seems a bit exorbitant to me) and a Cushcraft/MFJ LFA-6M4EL.

The antennas will be placed on a military style mast (see picture at https://www.qrz.com/db/kr1st). The mast in the rotator will be 5 or 6 feet, and I'm not sure if I should be adding a 70cm beam to that as well because pattern distortion because the antennas will be mounted so close to each other. The wind load should be OK when I calculate for a 6M3, 2M9SSB and 440-18 (my initial choice of antennas). The M2 antennas seem lighter, which is a big plus for my installation.

73,
--Alex KR1ST (FN21fk)