[VHFcontesting] Informal contests vs. activity nights...

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Informal contests vs. activity nights...
From: Patrick Thomas <p-thomas@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2018 18:20:32 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Hey all,

Many of you are aware of the common "activity nights" listed in the ARRL
Operating Manual:
50MHz   Sunday   6PM
144MHz  Monday   7PM
222MHz  Tuesday  8PM
432MHz  Weds     9PM
1296MHz Thurs   10PM
902MHz  Fri      9PM

Outside of 222 Tuesdays, I don't know that this drives much actual
"activity"... so maybe this post is partly a reminder about those days.  For
example, I don't have an excuse to not be on 432, Weds night.

On the other hand, weeknights at 6-10PM are not ideal times to drive out to a
ridge and operate for an hour or two, or to activate a SOTA site or local
park... so I'm curious if there might be interest in designating some kind of
informal(?) 1-hour, terrestrial-only, "micro-sprints" every month, rotating
through the bands, perhaps.  Has something like this been tried in the past?
It seems competition brings out more people than "activity nights" but I
wouldn't want to burn people out.

It just seems there's a lot of dead space in the VHF/UHF calendar, now...
especially in the winter.  Not much motivation to test and improve particular
bands.

Thoughts?

Patrick
KB8DGC