Re: [VHFcontesting] FM contesting

To: Rick R <rick1ds@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FM contesting
From: Sean Waite <waisean@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 05:16:31 +0000
Hi Rick,
I've been meaning to grab a copy of the proceedings from that, if only for
the talks on light contacts.

I agree that 222 FM is the most productive of the FM bands normally, for a
while K1SIG only had FM for 222 and we'd typically get a handful of
contacts. 2m FM was a great win for us this past time out, but we parked
ourselves in HT central at the ARRL convention. It took a little coaching,
but fortunately if we could hear them they were in the same grid as us so
it made it easy. I've found that in SOTA and VHF contesting that people are
willing to hand out contacts readily, even if they don't really know what's
going on.

Tilting beams is an interesting idea, but dangerous. If you're talking to
another station that does it, and you're both tilted the same 45 degrees
you're suddenly cross-polarized.

We're still going to carry the h-pol beams for sideband and CW, it's more
of a matter of whether we'd get anything from carrying a dedicated FM beam
to make it worth the effort, or if we'd lose out on the
contacts-of-convenience off the edges of the beams.

73,
Sean WA1TE