Re: [VHFcontesting] The digital modes and the Sept contest....

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] The digital modes and the Sept contest....
From: Walt Murphy <n2wm@centurylink.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 14:28:46 -0400
Hello everyone

I am a long time contester on VHF. First operated in a September VHF contest on 6 meters in 1969 with AM. Yes I am a Dinosaur.

  My observation during the September VHF contest as an Operator at the W2LV group VHF contest effort.

  From our hilltop location on 6 and 2 meters we copied many stations on the digital frequencies with S-7 to 20 over S-9 signals making very short haul contacts on digital and ignoring even being on SSB at least during the VHF Contest period.

  I was under the opinion that the advantage of these computer digital modes was for EME, Meteor Scatter and extreme weak signal QSO's not as a replacement of SSB and or CW. On 50.313 the number of stations competing, AKA Pileups, surely had to reduce the QSO rates and probably covered up any real weak or long distance signals that were on the frequency.

  Now I have read comments that this FT-8 mode that seems to be the mode of choice on digital is no better than CW on weak signal detection and decoding. If this is true we are now a computer application hobby.

  I hope to enjoy many more VHF Contests and will try some more digital in the future.

73    Walt Murphy    N2WM

Trustee of W2LV