[VHFcontesting] Motorola 600W 902/3 amps...

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Motorola 600W 902/3 amps...
From: Marshall-K5QE <k5qe@k5qe.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 04:01:57 -0500
Hello VHFers....I have two of the big Motorola 902/3 amplifiers that I can bring to Dayton. We are driving this time, so I can find room for them if anyone is interested. We are leaving at the butt crack of dawn on Wednesday, the 17th, so if you want these, you must be quick about it. I don't want to haul these up there and then have to bring them back again.

Here are the details: I bought 6 of these amps during the days when you could still get them. They were "new in the box" and had never been used at all. These amps run on +26VDC at about 50A. One I had converted by Steve-N5AC(now of Flex Radio fame) and I used it in the contests for about 6 years. It made 450W out for about 60mw drive(yes, mw not W). I turned down the drive a bit and ran it at 400W out for years in the ARRL contests. Then one day, it just quit making power. We could never figure out why. There is no obvious damage.

During the same time frame, I found a different Austin, TX ham that converted three of the others for me. Two of them worked perfectly, the third did not make power. I have no idea why, since it was converted just like the first two.

I believe that all you would need to do is to use signal tracing techniques to find out where the signal gets "lost" and you could get these amps going again. These are all connectorized inside, so you might just move down the amp chain and inject the signal past the problem. I am not on 902 any more, so I don't want to fool with them. SO, I will sell them for $50 each and you can figure out what is wrong. I paid $350 each for them, so if you are interested, here is a chance to get a big 902/3 amp for cheap money.

As I said above, time is short. If you are interested, please call me ASAP at 409-787-3830 or return this email and we can work out how to meet you in Dayton. I have not seen any of these Motorola amps for sale in a long time, so here is your chance. These would be great for a person or club that wanted to get them going.

See you at Dayton....

73 Marshall K5QE
Phone 409-787-3830 here at the home shack...