Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF/UHF Panadapting

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF/UHF Panadapting
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 09:58:49 -0500
I have a couple things I have been using. I got a couple Softrock Ensemble
II VHF SDR receivers. As the designs go, they are available as single-band
units that you configure (by choosing parts from the kit) for 50, 70 or 144
MHz bands. I have been using the 144 MHz one as a stand-alone (needs a bit
of help from a preamp) or as a 144 MHz IF for my microwave transverters. I
also have an HF Softrock Ensemble II SRD receiver that covers the whole
shortwave spectrum from 1.8 to 30 MHz. It works as an IF monitor for
transverters with a 28 MHz IF.

The other is an inexpensive RTL USB dongle. These usually cover 26 to 1600
MHz. They can also be used as IF monitors on 28 and 144 MHz. They do need a
preamp with about 20 dB of gain, as near as some of us can determine.

The Softrocks use your computer sound card as the monitor and display the
band segment available as a waterfall display. Most computer sound cards
have a 48 kHz bandwidth, so that's how much spectrum you can see. I have an
external sound card that has a 96 kHz bandwidth.

The RTL USB dongles can show much more spectrum, from 100 kHz to as much as
3 MHz wide.

You can find really cheap RTL USB dongles for as little as $7 or $10. But I
recommend the RTL SDR units sold by this company, because I have gotten
excellent service from them:

http://nooelec.com/store/

They are in New York and have really fast shipping.

73, Zack W9SZ

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 7:22 PM, Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 7:07 PM,  <arsn4dd@charter.net> wrote:
> > Do any of the seasoned veterans have a suggestion for incorporating a
> > freestanding VHF/UHF panadapter into a casual contesting environment?
>

> I do NOT have one, but I believe there is a way of using a (cheap) SDR
> for this.  You'd have to keep your transmitted RF out of its little
> ears, but ...
>

> --
<#m_8019873406702846187_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>