Re: [VHFcontesting] Attenuation from polarity mismatch (Re: C6AFP Six Me

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Attenuation from polarity mismatch (Re: C6AFP Six Meter Beacon
From: Bob K0NR - email list <list@k0nr.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 20:00:28 -0700
Well put. My experience, though not as complete, is consistent with yours.

73, Bob K0NR

On 29-Jan-17 7:11 PM, Buddy Morgan via VHFcontesting wrote:
  As everyone else said, it depends. For ionospheric propagation, it probably
makes little difference. I once had two ten meter dipoles. One vertical and one
horizontal. I could switch rapidly between them. With skywave propagation,
usually a station would fade in on one and fade out on the other. I could not
tell that one was better than the other. However, a circularly polarized
antenna would have, I'm sure almost eliminated the fading. For ground wave
propagation, on 10 meters, the polarity isolation seemed to be 12~15 db.

The higher in frequency, you go, the affects of surrounding objects is less.
So, you tend to see more polarity isolation. Six meters, for ground wave
operation seems to be about 15 db. I'm sure that 6M would behave pretty much
like ten meters, for skywave signals.

Close in signals, on 2M, seem to exhibit about 20 db of isolation. For long
haul tropo, I'll be the diversity is a lot less. I have seen more isolation, on
the higher bands. I once had a 23 cm ground plane and a LY. Best I could tell,
there was about 30 db of isolation. One person tells me that 21 db was as much
isolation he has ever seen on any band. I read somewhere that under laboratory
conditions, on 10 GHz, 80db has been measured.

Theoretically it is infinite. In the real world, or at least in my world, it is
12~30 db.

Buddy WB4OMG