Re: [VHFcontesting] 2GHz beacon off the air... (1296.268 MHz WA3TTS/B re

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 2GHz beacon off the air... (1296.268 MHz WA3TTS/B re-located)
From: "Michael Sapp" <wa3tts@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 20:55:46 -0400
Mike (mikflathead@aol.com) & All: On Friday Sept 23 I moved my 1296.268~ +/- WA3TTS/B to FN00ke on Laurel Mountain. Elevation at ground level is 2705' and the Alford slot antenna is mounted on top of the building roof access ladder rail up about 35~40 feet. I'm estimating 1W ERP. The CW ID is at 5 WPM to make it easier to see on a waterfall display.

So far K1RZ and W3IP have not heard it, but I got a second hand report (from W3IP) that K8TQK heard it well (S4). There is a chance that tree cover or scattering off the nearby tower is disrupting the signal to the SE direction to FM19. Also a chance the Alford slot is not entirely omni (possible null, etc.) as I did not have a chance to antenna range test it. The Alford slot is well matched with 20dB return loss.

Anyway, the location is much better than my 1200' ASL yagi-on-chimney situation. I do hear the 1296 MHz TTS/B in FN00ke from my EN90xn QTH about 10dB out of the noise with some occasional fading to just above the noise from my home location. I expect better signal reception locally at higher hilltop locations, but I have not had time to investigate. Any reception reports would be appreciated (wa3tts@verizon.net).

For the moment I would say the frequency is within 5 or 6 kHz of 1296.268 MHz. It seems to stay within 1 kHz over 12 hours or so once my LT-23S and FT-817 are warmed up, but that receiving setup is not reference locked---so take this frequency measurement limitation into consideration.

Yes, it would be nice to have the beacon 100ft up the tower, but that is not really possible (business politics, liability, etc.). I'm just very grateful for the site access to provide a modest 1296 beacon signal for western PA and the surrounding area from such a great hilltop.

73 Mike, wa3tts

Not to change the subject but, there was a 1296 beacon in VE3 land that was on 1296.320 or near there. I have not heard it in a while. Is it still operational? Mike