Re: [VHFcontesting] iOS Logging Apps for Rover

To: "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] iOS Logging Apps for Rover
From: "Michael Davis" <michael@bassettconsulting.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 06:32:06 -0400

        Hello Mark, John and other friends,

        No need to dig up the QSL card.  That was Andrea Slack K2EZ.  I
saw her at a recent hamfest so we can assume she returned safely from the
VHF Superconference.  QRZ.com can fill in the contact
information.

        73,

        Michael KB1JEY

        > Mark,

        > I hope this is of some help. I met a lady at the VHF-UHF super
conference

        > this spring who had the same problem rovering. She wrote an
application

        > for a tablet PC (6x10 inches very low power draw) to do her logging
while

        > on the move (single operator too). I hand log as well, but FM only
is

        > slow going so I have lots of time. I dont have room or the power

        > (mountain topping on battery) for a full PC and of course no
internet

        > connection. I have no idea if the app controlled the radio's or
did

        > anything else from the wish list, but it was small, low power, easy
to use

        > on the move and generated Cabrillo format logs. I will try to dig up
her

        > QSL card. She go a mention in QST on her long long drive from Maine?

        > Texas.

        > If its better than hand logging and doesnt require a huge laptop
or

        From: K2QO <k2qo@mac.com>

        > To: vhfcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>;
rvhfg_general

<nf2rs@googlegroups.com>

and

        > interference issues with various chargers and computers including
Lind DC

        > power and piles of ferrite, I've had to abandon computer logging in
the

        > rover for the past 5 years. Manually entering 500 Qs after the
contests

        > totally SUCKS. My ideal setup would be a simple iOS app for the iPad
that

        > would work like RoverLog. Actually, RoverLog is perfect and is what
I use

        > to enter my log after a contest.

        > The apps I've looked at all require 15 button presses to navigate a
single

        > QSO entry and there is no time for that on the road. A super
stripped down

        > RumLogNG could work or a roverized version of HamLog, but nothing
I've

        > tried is close. If I spend a couple hundred hours developing an app
for

        > myself it is guaranteed that someone will make the perfect app that
far

        > surpasses my effort :-)

        > My ideal setup would be:

        > An iPad Pro with a BT or Apple Smart Keyboard.

        > Networking is not required as the front seat is dedicated to 2M an
the

        > rear is 6/222/432.

        > Dupe checking is not a must.

        > Integration with the N3WG Piglet would be great for the back
seat.

        > Band changes would be with a hot key or or dedicated buttons on
screen are

        > fine. Would be nice if the radio followed a screen press to change
bands.

        > Would be nice to have azimuth displayed all the time with the
reverse

        > bearing.

        > Logging sequence needs to be very simple. Call, grid, enter to log,
leave

        > call in the window so touching another band button only requires
another

        > enter to log for passes to new bands.

        > Keeps log in Cabrillo format

        > Uses GPS from iPad to fill in SENT GRID

        > Does anyone have or know of a possible candidate? It sounds soooo
simple

        > when I list what is needed.

        > --

        > 73,