[VHFcontesting] ICOM 9100 and the DATA2 port....

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] ICOM 9100 and the DATA2 port....
From: Marshall-K5QE <k5qe@k5qe.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 17:39:12 -0500
Help!!! I am trying to get an ICOM 9100 to interface with my digital interface using the Data2 port(the 6 pin Mini-Din) connector on the back. Specifically, I cannot get the rig to key when the computer begins sending in WSJT. I am trying to get this to work on 432MHz. I have set V-Send to OFF. The "no key" situation happens on all bands....HF and UHF. I have not tried 2M.

I am using the same hardware that I used in the Falklands with the ICOM 7000, which also has a 6 pin Mini-DIN. I have been told that ALL radios with the 6 pin Mini-DIN are wired identically.....in other words if it works with one radio with the 6 pin Mini-DIN, then it will work with all radios that have that connector. The hardware that I have keyed the ICOM 7000 perfectly, so I can't see why it does not work with the ICOM 9100.

I believe that there is some obscure menu choice that I do not have set right....but I cannot find any setting that has anything to do with the 6 pin Mini-DIN(or DATA2 as they call it).

Does anyone have any experience with using the DATA2 port? Is there a menu choice that I am not finding?

I am considering a DXpedition on 432, but I need to get this to work first.

All help gratefully appreciated...

73 Marshall