[VHFcontesting] Meteor Scatter-Benefit to changing angle of antenna?

To: WSJT Group <wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com>, "vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu" <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Meteor Scatter-Benefit to changing angle of antenna?
From: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2016 05:13:45 -0500
I’m hoping that someone with more experience with meteor scatter communications
can answer a question that has been bugging me. Is there any benefit to angling
a Yagi upwards from a horizontal mounting position, say 10-15 degrees for MS
contacts? I’ve heard some old timers swear that it seems to result in a longer
“ping” or reflection period. Others say it makes little or no difference.

Geometry wasn’t my best subject. :-)

Can anyone speak to this with authority and/or anecdotal evidence? Thanks for
your expertise in advance.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL
EM63nf

Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA.

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy SDR, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook
Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.