[VHFcontesting] Meteor Scatter, Aircraft Scatter, or Short-Duration Trop

To: "vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu" <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Meteor Scatter, Aircraft Scatter, or Short-Duration Tropo-scatter?
From: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 05:50:15 -0500
I’d like to hear from experienced VHF operators on this one. Recently, I’ve
devoted a lot of time to doing some DXing of the FM broadcast band when the
amateur bands are not too active.

I’m still very new at this, in only my 2nd season of FM DXing. But have a lot
of experience at working meteor scatter on the 6 Meter and 2 Meter bands, along
with more traditional modes like e-skip, and tropo.

Just got my system optimized to the point that I can reliably pick up signals
via meteor scatter on the handful of quiet or semi-quiet frequencies that
remain here. So far, I’ve managed to log two stations, both via audio
recordings. I use software called “Total Recorder”, then park my receiver on a
frequency overnight and let the audio recorder run. In MP3 mode, the files are
manageable, at around 500MB.  Nothing yet in terms of RDS decodes, but hope
springs eternal.

Last night, I had a period that lasted exactly 1:42 seconds, where meteor pings
were happening one after another on 90.1 FM. No ID’s, unfortunately, but at
least three stations were heard including a Spanish language station, a
classical music station, and a religious (spoken word) station. Another station
was identified from a promo that was being broadcast, it was WFYI in
Indianapolis at a distance of just under 500 miles.

The individual pings lasted only a few seconds each, with nothing but static in
between—but these pings were nearly continuous during the 1:42 period—silence
lasting only 4-5 seconds at a time, followed by another ping.

During major showers, I’ve seen this type of activity, but we’re not in a major
shower at the moment. I’ve also experienced so-called “Blue Whizzers” which are
long duration burns—sometimes 8-12 seconds. But nothing like this.

At 2:23 AM, it’s highly unlikely to be e-skip. And I’ve never heard of tropo
going from noise floor to S-9 in seconds. Looking for other explanations, I
started to wonder about reflections off an aircraft.

Have any VHF operators experienced propagation like this? Any thoughts about
what the mechanism could be?

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA.

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy SDR, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook
Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.