[VHFcontesting] Concerning EME in the UHF contest....

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Concerning EME in the UHF contest....
From: Marshall-K5QE <k5qe@k5qe.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 21:55:12 -0500
Hello everyone....I want to assure everyone that the proposed new rules for the UHF contest were NOT set up to discriminate against me. Thanks for the spirited defense, but in this case, no defense is needed.

I have not entered the UHF contest for several years, so I am not a factor in that contest. I used to enter the contest when I had a few rovers out and about in our area that I could work. For whatever reason, all my rovers quit, so essentially there is no one for me to work. Without the rovers, there must be at least 4-5 stations that I can work on 222 and / or 432.....and these are 250-300 miles away. We just do not have the population density here that the East Coast has.

I was a (small) part of the working group on Distance Scoring. I provided several real logs with a mixture of EME and tropo contacts for the committee to use for modeling. These logs proved that EME overwhelms any other method when distance scoring is the metric. As a possible solution, I proposed a "sliding scale" formula for really long distance contacts. This would include EME, nEs, Au, TEP, and whatever other mechanisms produce really long contacts. If F2 ever comes back, we would probably have to include that too..... Unfortunately, this idea never gained any traction, partly because it was difficult to find a formula that seemed to work.

As an example, at one time, the 2M Sprint was distance scored. There were stations on the East Coast with 180 contacts(in 4 hours)....I had only 28 contacts. However, the shortest of my contacts was about 4500 miles to EU, while the longest was a bit less than 10K miles to ZL land. It does not take too much counting on fingers and toes to see that the EME score just blew everything else away. I purposely did not enter that contest again while it was distance scored.

The EU contests ban EME because many / most(??) of them are distance scored. Apparently, they cannot find any way to make EME and tropo co-exist either.

Because the other contests are NOT distance scored, EME gives me a way to compete that is fair to all. Anyone can put up an EME station these days, so everyone has the same chances. A grid in EU is just as valuable as a grid in PA, so that is fair as well. Distance scoring is NOT a panacea for any perceived problems in VHF contesting. I would hope that everyone would understand this.

My idea is to leave the major, well established contests as they are now. The new assistance rules have solved all or almost all of the previous problems there. I love the new rules and I commend the committee for their efforts there. The committee can let the UHF contest "test the waters" so to speak. Maybe the new ideas will turn out to be great....maybe not. But changes can be made after we see what is not working.

73 Marshall K5QE