Re: [VHFcontesting] Comments sought for new ARRL UHF Contest in May

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Comments sought for new ARRL UHF Contest in May
From: Bob K0NR - email list <list@k0nr.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 08:13:09 -0600
I have not entered a UHF contest in many years, so maybe I don't have a stake in this debate.
Or maybe I am a potential participant.

I pulled the log data for the Rocky Mt Division and found this:

2015: 2 logs, 2014: 3 logs, 2013: 1 log, 2012: 3 logs, 2011: 2 logs

Wow, I see there is a 'critical mass' problem for our division.

I think there are some good ideas being proposed:

   Distance scoring / six-character locator
   Team competition

The scoring method is very heavily weighted towards the microwave bands. I understand the desire to promote/reward moving up in frequency. For me, this probably acts as a disincentive to seriously compete as I am currently not interested in the microwave bands. (I do have VUCC on 10 GHz, so I have operated there :-) )

The May timeframe might be a slight improvement for me ...August is a busy month with lots of summer activities. May is a bit early for mountaintop operating in our area as there is still quite a bit of snow on the peaks.

All in all, I'll probably continue to sit on the sidelines for the UHF contest.

73, Bob K0NR