[VHFcontesting] Regional holes?

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Regional holes?
From: James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2016 19:23:03 -0600
Patrick - I am not sure where the data for this map came from, but it is
useful, and I think indicative of current activity:

< https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zuRYgFdmxl8A.kIS-49hrR_Ec&hl=en_US >

With your setup, an average location, and antennas up say 20 to 30 ft, using
SSB or CW, you should be able to work everyone on this map within a 150 to 200
mile radius of your QTH nearly any time. Under good conditions or with a good
station on the other end, you should be able to work out to 300 miles or more.

WM5R has posted maps he has made of VHF/UHF contesting activity.

< http://lists.contesting.com/_vhfcontesting/2004-06/msg00066.html >

Those maps are old, but still useful and contain the information you asked for:
http://www.wm5r.org/maps/2002janvhf/
http://www.wm5r.org/maps/2003janvhf/

http://www.wm5r.org/maps/2002junvhf/
http://www.wm5r.org/maps/2003junvhf/

http://www.wm5r.org/maps/2002sepvhf/
http://www.wm5r.org/maps/2003sepvhf/
I suspect that the number of pins has not changed much since those maps were
made, except perhaps for 6M, which should have increased.
Those maps do not include rover activity, which would probably add another 300
to 1000 pins to the maps. When I rove, I typically add 5 or 6 grids to the NM
active grids.
You don’t say anything about your capabilities on 6M, but given the plethora of
HF rigs with 6M in the hands of contesters, there is probably a lot of activity
there.
You are on the right track, trying to get locals interested and committed to
get on is the best way to increase activity. You are to be congratulated for
your efforts.
W9RM is right, many of us between in the flyover area Mississippi River and The
San Jacinto Mountains would like very much to have the kind of activity that
you appear to have around Detroit. It doesn’t sound like you are doing too bad.

I hope that this helps. - Duffey KK6MC