[VHFcontesting] MS-EME Filters

To: waisean@gmail.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] MS-EME Filters
From: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 19:06:57 -0600
Stan,

Still waiting for that first EME contact, but I’ve made hundreds of meteor
scatter contacts using WSJT on 6, 2, and 222 Mhz. Contrary to what we’re used
to with weak signal modes having narrow filters will not improve detection of
FSK441 signals, and often hurts the ability of the software to decode the
information.

Joe Taylor could explain why, but then again, most of us with the Nobel prize
probably wouldn’t understand…but trust me. You don’t need or want filters.

I’ve used my Icom 746PRO to make any number of 6 & 2 Meter contacts. It will do
just fine.

Suggest you “get your feet” wet on 6 Meters first—and use the WSJT reflector
“Ping Jockey.” Run with someone and let them know that you don’t have a lot of
experience. That way, you can “talk through” the contact on the reflector. It
won’t count for awards, or QSO points, but it’s the easiest way to get familiar
with the software.

As you progress, you’ll learn lots of techniques to improve the ability to pick
up marginal pings. This is something most people don’t know. They think the
computer does all the work, and no skill is involved. That’s no true. A good
experienced operator will be able to decode signals by manipulating the
software that others would miss.

Enjoy. Meteor scatter work is thrilling and a ton of fun. Especially on 2
Meters.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL
EM63nf

Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA.

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy SDR, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook
Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.