Re: [VHFcontesting] Where should we focus first on our station?

To: Sean Waite <waisean@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Where should we focus first on our station?
From: Michael Clarson <wv2zow@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 12:18:35 -0500
Sean: No magic answers, but a few suggestions. Instead of bandpass filters,
you may (to save some money) use half a diplexer as a low or high pass
filter. For example, a 6/2 diplexer on the 2 meter radio will keep 6 meter
energy out of the 2 meter radio.  The FT-857 really needs some help on
receive on 2 and 432. Maybe that should have been the 6 meter radio and the
7000 the 2/432 radio. Advanced Rcvr Research has some preamps that connect
in the feedline and automatically switch out for transmit. CW would add a
lot. It would make your low power signal stand out a bit on 432. Contact
rate on VHF is slow enough so you may get repeats without much objection.
Getting stations to slow down on VHF is a lot easier than on HF. SSB and a
yagi on 222 would help also. Good luck in June, and don't forget the CQ WW
VHF in July -- 6 and 2 only.--73, Mike, WV2ZOW