Re: [VHFcontesting] rf sense on mirage amps.

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] rf sense on mirage amps.
From: Mark Spencer <mark@alignedsolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 09:56:18 -0700
Re the Rf sense on mirage amps.   I ended up just buying a coaxial relay from
RF parts and triggered the relay with a sequencer (that I need anyways for a
pre amp.)

On RX I bypass the amp completely.   On TX I hard key the amp and the external
relay switches connects the amps to the radio and antenna.   I'm not a fan of
the relays typically used in these amps and a real dpdt coaxial relay with N
connectors that was designed for RF use cost me less than $200.00 delivered to
my door.   At times I had odd losses of RX sensitivity  that I traced to the
relays in my mirage amp.  I'm not picking on Mirage amps as many manufacturers
seem to use non coaxial relays in this application.

I also spent some time trying to figure out how to disable rf sense on my
mirage amp and believe I concluded that the rf  sense and the vswr protection
were co mingled (I may not be fully remembering this but it appeared a non
trivial task to disable rf sense on my 300 watt amp.)

your mileage may vary.

Mark S

VE7AFZ

Sent from my iPhone