[VHFcontesting] New rules

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] New rules
From: "Terry" <w8zn54@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 14:13:28 -0400
Hi all,

I haven't seen much positive or negative about the new rules allowing use of
chat rooms etc. We were able to complete many QSO's well over 500 miles with
stations simply because both of us pointed at each other. At those
distances, just being off 10 degrees makes a huge difference but what it
also points out to me is these 500 mi, non-digital, contacts can be made
without having a huge station. One of the folks I worked on 2, 222 and 432
was running in the low power class so he had a hundred watts or so but was
easy copy (539 to 559) on 2 and 222 and was weak but completely workable on
432.

I think the challenge is to integrate this type of operation into your
normal contesting routine so you don't spend too much time "chasing spots".
It still pays to call CQ and make noise!!

All and all, during the Sunday afternoon dull drums, I found it to make
things much more interesting!

Also, congrats to the K5QE team for 130 grids on 2m. I may be wrong but I
think that's an all time record!!! - if not, it still is one HELL of a good
effort!!!!

Terry Price - W8ZN