Re: [VHFcontesting] Roving in one grid ?

To: Paul Kiesel <k7cw@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Roving in one grid ?
From: John Geiger <af5cc2@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 11:59:33 -0500
 I wasn't really think that the rules should be changed just so someone can
make QSOs on their way to Safeway or Walmart.   I had a couple of different
situations in mind:

1. The guy who takes the family to visit Grandma on Saturday or Sunday
afternoon, turns on the mobile rig to find 6m open and a contest going on.
Makes 40 or 50 QSOs on the way there or back. The XYL or one of the kids
logs for him.  They all see how much fun ham radio can be, especially VHF
contesting.  The problem is that Grandma lives in the same grid as them.
The family doesn't want to take a side trip to another grid.  Or maybe
family obligations prevent a trip to another grid, or maybe he/she does
drive there but the band has closed by the time they get there.

We constantly lament how we need more VHF operators, more activity in VHF
contests, etc.  Do we want to tell this guy "We don't want your log", or
"We don't like or care what you did, it doesn't fit in our contest, your
QSOs don't count for you."  Not a great way to attract new blood to VHF
contesting.

2. North of town we have Mt. Scott, which you can drive up, has a parking
lot on top, and is 1000 feet above the average terrain here.  Great spot to
operate from. However, Mt.Scott closes at night, so you have to leave.
Once you go home, you have no incentive to make any QSOs from your home
station, or even on the drive home, because you cannot add them to your Mt.
Scott score.  You could submit a separate log from the home QTH if you
operated QRP portable from the mountain top.  Or you could use a club
callsign from home if you had access to one, and you use a completely
different radio at home than you did from the mountaintop-I don't, I only
own one SSB/CW radio.

So this would be another situation which would discourage some VHF contest
QSOs to be made.

Modifying the rover rules to allow for operations from one grid only would
solve both of these issues.

73 John AF5CC