[VHFcontesting] Rover rendezvous in Gap PA?

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, Pack Rats Reflector <packrats@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Rover rendezvous in Gap PA?
From: Pete K0BAK via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 13:17:24 +0000 (UTC)
[In the spirit of never too early to plan ...]

I'm a fairly new Limited rover (my 3rd VHF rove was this January). Would there
be any interest for PA-MD-NY rovers (esp. Limited rovers) to meet up at the
FN10-FN20-FM19-FM29 grid intersection near Gap Pennsylvania in the next
contest(s)?

Limited rovers with 4 bands could theoretically make 64 QSOs with each other
rover circling 4 grids (if my math is right), well under the 100 QSO limit. My
impression is that terrestrial contacts dry up considerably after 8pm or so,
especially on Sunday, so maybe Sunday night would be the best time.

The Gap area has gentle rolling hills and rural roads crossing grids, which I
would think would make "circling" pretty easy. There is also a modest ridge
(~800 ft) available for 3 of the grids.

I'd be willing to consider other locations, esp. north (Hazelton PA) and south
(Centreville MD), but I think Gap has a nice combo of positive attributes.
(Full disclosure: it's also the intersection closest to my home, but I really
do think it's got a good set of attributes for grid circling.)

I know it's too early to make definite plans, but Penn. area rovers please keep
this idea in mind.

-- Pete K0BAK