Re: [VHFcontesting] 6M only category & other ideas.

To: "James Duffey" <jamesduffey@comcast.net>, "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 6M only category & other ideas.
From: "Dave Olean" <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 19:43:07 -0000
Jim,
Forgive the lateness of my response, but I have been in thinking mode prior to replying. I would agree with you about the addition of a six meter only category causing a fair amount of havoc in the current VHF contest format. Higher freq contacts would dry up in precisely the areas where we all want to encourage more participation. (far away from the Golden Corridor between NYC and Washington DC.) I enjoy reading all your posts. Ditto on the Limited Rover class too. I am bothered by numerous comments lately that indicate that participant "A" will stop contesting if certain rules are changed or modes are forbidden. I am also bothered by the comments that some new VHF operator will not enter the contest unless there is a pre made category to match his or her specific conditions. So if an HF operator discovers one day that his 5 kilobuck competition grade transceiver has a six meter position, and he uses it one weekend in a VHF contest, why should he or she expect to win anything? Rather than making the fish bowl smaller to cater to the fact that his radio only has one VHF band position, I think the proper thing to do is give him the incentive to try to improve his score by trying new bands and making improvements. The problem is that HFers think a band is dead when they hear no signals on it. HF contesters are also very competitive. Their participation is only assured when there are stations waiting to be worked on the VHF bands, much as you described also in ur post. Attracting HF ops to VHF is the only way to save our VHF bands. VHF is dying now. (I just got on 160 meters so I can work people in the winter. It is not possible on VHF now.) Building activity on the VHF bands will not be done by manipulating a few contest rules. Activity will be built by having a nucleus of constant activity on the higher bands. I am not holding my breath. The bands are very quiet in Maine as a rule. They have been getting worse over the past few years. I applaud the efforts of a small but growing group on 144.205. They are making a point of getting on every morning at 8 AM on 144.205. Stan KA1ZE started it and it has really grown and caused a resurgence of activity in the NYC area. This effort needs to be implemented across the country. It also requires a lot of missionary work and effort. It is not for the faint of heart. It is a big committment. The good news is that results beget more results! There needs to be a reason for many more people to get on the VHF bands This brings up another point. You are not going to have any real success on VHF unless you put the same amount of money or resources into your antenna as you put into your radio. I know some ops are in places that do not allow large antennas. For that situation, portable or rover operation is a good, if part time, solution. If you hook up your $5,000 HF radio to a long wire, simple vertical, or small indoor antenna, you are not going to hear what the bands really offer, and no one will know that you even exist. Where is Sam Harris when we need him? He was W1FZJ/ W1BU, the VHF column editor back in the early 1960's. He was constantly railing to push the VHFers of the time to get off their butts and make their stations perform better. If you could not work 500 miles on 144 MHz in 1960, your station was broken in his opinion. He backed all this up by telling you how to do it every month in his column. Lately the VHF column talks of 50 MHz openings and of people hanging around waiting for certain paths to be workable. It reminds me of the gossip pages in old newspapers. "The Ellis's had visitors over the last week when they entertained the Garvey fanmily from East Paducah. They canned 7 quarts of peach preserves, and played Canasta." There are very few pages devoted to pushing the envelope in other areas of our fascinating VHF hobby. Contrast the columns of today with one of Sam's columns. I am enclosing a portion of an old column for your enjoyment....

If you have read this far, you are probably sitting there asking yourself, “What does he expect me to do now?” The answer is, I expect you to get to work, and prove that you do have the initiative, the ambition, or just plain gumption, to be listed as a member of the v.h.f. fraternity. Look around at your receiving setup. How much feedline loss do you have? If it’s more than 1/2 a dB, fix it. Do you have a tunable coaxial filter in front of your converter? If you don’t, why not? The use of a coaxial filter in front of your converter almost invariably provides an improvement in received signal-to-noise ratio. In addition, it filters out the commercial garbage generally experienced in the urban areas. And it provides the first step towards constructing your parametric amplifier. I don’t suggest that you go out and buy a coaxial filter, but rather that you get busy and build one. The best test for a properly operating filter is to install it in front of your converter while listening to a weak signal. If the signal remains the same or improves slightly, your filter is doing its job. If the signal decreases in strength, one of two things is happening: (a) your filter is not working properly or (b) your converter is matched to the feed line better than any converter I have ever seen. In any event, with a perfectly-matched converter the coaxial filter loss should not exceed 0.2 dB.

If you got this far and you still don’t know how to build a parametric amplifier, and if you don’t want to wait for a 1296 Mc paramp being described in QST next month, I suggest you drop me a line stating your problem. When it comes to parametric amplifiers I am as full of helpful hints as Lew McCoy talking to a Novice.

From Sam Harris' VHF column "The World Above 50 Megacycles"  September, 1960

One odd thing is that some of the best propagation on VHF occurs in the more southerly climes in places where activity is slight. If there was more activity there, scores would easily outstrip anything done in PA, CT or MA where conditions are usually not so good. 500 mile contacts in the southeast are much easier than up in the colder, tropo free zone where most of the activity is now. The problem is to get people active there with good antenna systems. Texas Georgia, N Carolina, and Florida have huge ham populations. They are just not on VHF in any large numbers. Do not look to the ARRL to fix our VHF bands. We have to look at a mirror instead. The ARRL can help to improve activity however. One way the ARRL might help is to support VHF more aggressively and encourage many more short operating activities on the pages of QST or on their website. We need a contest every weekend during the Summer months. It can be a small contest for just a short time period, say four hours. It just has to be there to attract a few operators, and build from there. It can also be different each week to address different situations. VHF area clubs are important here too. They need to be involved. Note that a radio club in Oregon sponsors one of the most enjoyable 160 meter contests of the year. (The Stew Perry) Remember that much of the VHF activity in the Golden Corridor happened there because of VHF oriented club activity that started at a critical time. Maybe local VHF clubs can sponsor activity periods or contests in specific geographical areas. There are many state QSO parties on the low bands. Indeed there are many contests on HF every day. VHF needs the same treatment. Clubs need a Contest Coordinator more than just about anything else. How about a contest period where everyone is limited to 10 watts. How about a contest where points are only scored when you work a specific area? I would like to see a short activity/contest where we all have to contact stations in, say, Ontario to get points. It would be goofy, but it would foster activity and cause VE3s to get on the air. The next time it could be Vermont or Oregon. How about SSB only? CW only? meteor scatter only? How about a contest where everyone has to work a rover? Of course the results would have to be tabulated and written up even if on the web. I see a lot of room for creativity here. The VHF clubs have to get tremendously involved to pull such things off. Things need to be shaken up. We need a VHF sprint type event every few nights! We need reasons to be active. We all need to be the solution.

73

Dave K1WHS

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Duffey" <jamesduffey@comcast.net> To: "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>; <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>