[VHFcontesting] Dayton 2014

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, VHF Reflector <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Dayton 2014
From: Dan Evans via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 10:27:40 -0700 (PDT)
Got a chance to go up to Dayton Saturday:-)

I used to go about every year, but this is my first trip up in the last 7 or 8
years.

The morning weather was nasty.  Cold rain, and hail(!) several times in the
morning put a "damper" on the flea market, but the weather improved as the day
went on.  Sunday will likely be nice.  Unfortunately, there were a lot of empty
flea market spaces, likely due to the weather.

My main goal for the trip was to pick up some parts for the Rover in June, and
to take in the VHF & Microwave Forums.

The forums were great!  I'm not ready to get on 10, 24, or 47 ghz, but I may
get there eventually.  And the 6, 2, & 432 amps Ed Krome, K9EK, described sound
simple enough I may give them a try.

As far as goodies for the Rover goes, I picked up 4 new runs for LMR400, and  a
new rebuilt Alliance HD73 rotator.  I actually have 6 or 7 rotators in various
states of disrepair, but decided I will not find the time to repair one before
the next contest, so I found a good buy on another one.  I was also hoping to
find a transverter for 222, but came up empty.  They seem to be as scarce as
hen's teeth, so I will likely have to wait and pick up a new one sometime down
the road.

73
Dan

--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el