Re: [VHFcontesting] VHFcontesting Digest, Vol 135, Issue 17

To: Donald Drennon <n4tzhradio@gmail.com>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHFcontesting Digest, Vol 135, Issue 17
From: Dan Evans <k9zf@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 15:34:57 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks everyone for all of the replies.

Thanks Tom for the pointer on RoverLog.  The audio files should be stored in
the same location as the log files.  I will look closer.   I have always loved
RoverLog, contesting just isn't fun without it!  ;-)

As far as the GPS goes, we are planning to buy a new mapping GPS anyway, so I
thought I would look for one that does grids.  No big deal.  I have an android
smart phone and a hand held GPS I can use...

In June I plan to do 4 to 6 grids in the KY and IN area.

6 meters: 100 watts and a Moxon
2 meters: 160 watts and 17 elements
432          100 watts and 18 elements

Alas, the FT897D doesn't have 222...  Maybe I can pick up another transverter
eventually.

73 all
Dan

--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio

I have been using Hamlog on my ipad and iPhone. There is also som other grid
locator apps for the iPhone and I'm sure there is something also for Android.

>Why get another piece of gear if you can do it with your smartphone?
>
>73,
>Don
>N4TZH
>
>Sent from my iPad
>>
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 18:10:09 -0700 (PDT)
>> From: Dan Evans <k9zf@yahoo.com>
>> To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
>> Subject: [VHFcontesting] Couple of Rover questions
>> <snip>
>>
>> Question number two:
>>
>> I have a Garmin eTrex handheld GPS I use to identify my grid square. ?It
>> works fine, but I'm planning to buy one of the mapping GPS's for the vehicle
>> soon and
 wonder if there are any that will display grid squares now? ? I remember
several years ago this topic came up on the list and the general consensus was
the mapping GPS's did not do maidenhead. ?Has that changed in the last few
years?