Re: [VHFcontesting] OT? Satellites

To: John Geiger <af5cc@fidmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] OT? Satellites
From: Barry Pfeil <barrypfeil@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 15:23:32 -0500
Thanks all for the useful comments.  Just to close this off (for now) I did
finally succeed in hearing both the the SO-50 and AO-7 satellites today,
2-March.  I simply listened with my Icom 706 connected to an X-50 dual-band
vertical that is mounted with it's base about 25 ft up in my attic.  The
"secret" was just having the right times for the passes!  I hadn't realized
that the iPad app SatExpPro "drifts" WAY off (a half hour, in my case) if
you don't actually CLOSE (not just minimize) it.  Simply tapping the "web
update" button apparently does NOT put it in sync with actual orbital data.
 Hope to get the yagis elevated and get set up for transmitting sometime in
the next week or so.
73, Barry K6RM