[VHFcontesting] Jan VHF SS K1IIG

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Jan VHF SS K1IIG
From: "Steve Tripp \(K1IIG\)" <stephen.tripp@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 11:48:48 -0500
This was a bit disappointing contest for me. I struggled to get my normal mediocre score. I just put up a new 70' Crankup with lots of new antennas that the jury is out on how much help they gave me. I think I am at the mercy of my QTH plus noise. 6m and 2m was loaded with local and band noise. 222 with small 10ele yagi worked quite well. 903 was better at new height but cell noise is still a killer. 1296 improved at new height based on hearing a beacon much stronger and only running 8w in shack and ~3w at antenna worked fairly well. 2304 seems to work worse but have a 2:1 swr so will have to tbl shoot in spring. 3456 station is tower mounted but not connected in shack, yet. Sat morning I had no bands working. Ended up with 4 radios on 7 bands working by noon. After selling my Flex5ka, which I had working perfect on all bands, I now have to redesign with new Apache Lab Anan-100d plus new transverters. I was pleased to work WA2FGK in Fn-21 on all 7bands plus AF1T in FN-43 on 6 bands. K3TUF on 2m and 432 was the furthest. Caught K8GP/R in FM-19 on 2m but no luck moving up the bands. Bands did improve on Sunday evening noticing strong 1296 signals from AF1T in Fn-43. Good news, lotsa of room for improvement. Bad news, lotsa work. Golf is not an option.
73's
Steve
If anyone else has a higher score, please do not post. It's way too painful to read!
No Whining please

6m.........69/14
2m..........77/11
432.........40/11
222.........24/11
1296.......14/8
2304.......5/4

Mediocre Score'bored'... 237q 65g 26,130pts Unconfirmed