Re: [VHFcontesting] Announcements and VHF contesting....

Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Announcements and VHF contesting....
From: Lew Sayre <lew@dsl-only.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 02:14:01 -0700
George is spot on. I don't live in the NE corridor and I would appreciate
an assistance-free category to do radio contesting in the VHF and up bands.
     Seems like during the last "discussion" of assistance we went around
pretty much the same way as people were lobbying CQ to allow assistance.
I pointed out that the only recourse for a lot of operators who did not
like assistance was to not support the CQ magazine who sponsored the
contest.
     The rules were changed.
     Did you get the August issue of CQ? Have you read the discussions
regarding CQ magazine lately?
    The point here is that there is a large silent majority of operators
who like to find and then work stations without help. They are being heard
by the magazine now.
     Radio is a lot of receiving with some transmitting. Assistance cuts
way down on the receive part of the equation because it will tell you who
and where. Sure you have to transmit to get the grid square and report and
make sure that the spot is the station you are hearing, but that is the fun
part, right?
     I really hope that you are successful in getting the rules changed to
allow for all the assistance possible in radio contesting. Allow the
internet, telephones, chat rooms, whatever. That will make it easy for
people to make contacts. That appears to be  important in enhancing your
fun while on the radio, so you should agitate vigorously for that.  Maybe
that will get more people on the air. Maybe that will make everybody happy
to be transmitting a lot more than they are receiving.
     But please leave a non-assisted category for guys like George and me.
Don't lump us in with a bunch of spoon fed people sitting in front of
radios.  Don't denigrate the skills we have developed by knowing
propagation, different sounds of static, ability to effectively use the big
knob on the front of the radio by putting us in a category that says those
skills don't count.
     We both should be able to have fun when we do radio. Just don't
relegate me, George and a bunch of Ops who abhor assistance into obscurity
while you pursue your goals. .
       73 and I remain,
    Lew     W7EW