Re: [VHFcontesting] Moxon Yagi loopers roving

To: VHF Contest Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Moxon Yagi loopers roving
From: Bill Olson <callbill@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 20:06:47 +0000
Hi Rick and all, This is an interesting thread that brings up LOTS of issues
besides just comparing a Moxon to a Yagi.. First of all a Moxon is, of course,
just a 2 element Yagi with the ends of the elements bent towards each other to
reduce the width and, (since the 2 elements are mechanically connected) I
suppose add some strength. Even though it "looks" like a loop it is not and has
a directional pattern.. Well everyone probably knows that, but as Rick states,
what really is important about 6M antennas is the height above ground.. A
Moxon, Halo, 2 element Yagi or 7 element Yagi MUST be higher above the ground
than one can travel with on a rover. AA9D, multiop contest station from IL, did
some test years ago and compared a halo (not sure which one but it doesn't
really matter - they all have gain LESS than a dipole) to a 5 element Yagi
(correct me someone if I have the # of elements wrong). The Yagi was at "top of
car height", say 7-10 feet, and the halo was at 20'. The ha
 lo outperformed the Yagi on all "non-skywave" paths. This is with a difference
in published gain of something like 10dB!!!  The reason is the pattern gets
elevated when the antenna is close to the ground. (The gain is still there,
actually, but not on the horizon) That's why the halo (or any antenna actually)
close to the ground works so well when the band is open for e-skip. I used to
rove with a 4 element beam on the bottom of a stack of 4 yagis. It was probably
7 or 8 ft off the ground. (yeah it hung out over the sides of the vehicle,
having a maximum element length of about 10ft but I never hit anything or got a
ticket). BUT.. with this setup I hardly ever worked ANYTHING except really
close stations except when there was e-skip at which point the elevated pattern
actually made it work GREAT and the shorter the skip, the better it worked.. So
now, having learned my lesson, I rove with a home made 2 element beam on a 4 ft
boom. It's light weight and easy to stow and I use
  it with a 18 ft mast. I actually stow the thing connected to the mast and
just pop it up at locations on a mount attached to my receiver hitch, so the
beam is actually 20 ft high or so.. This setup has yielded many 200-300 mile
dead band "ground wave" contacts and I love it. The pattern is quite broad in
the e-plane so you don't have to do a LOT of rotation.. (especially up here
where ALL stations are basically southwest) Down side is you can't operate 6m
while in motion!

This all leads into my second subject. There are at least 2 ways to skin the
rover cat I guess.. Some guys (I am one of them) like to use as big of antennas
as they can get (and high power etc) on the vehicle and actually try to work DX
from each stop. Others let the vehicle do the work and actually *drive* to the
rare grid. I always thought roving with omnidirectional antennas with no gain
was pretty ridiculous, but now see that it's not a bad way to go if you like to
drive a lot. Hit a WHOLE LOT of grids and keep moving and work everyone you can
from each stop and even along the way. The "grid circling" rovers take this
scheme to a higher level, but it's the same idea.. Of course driving to lots of
grids AND having a station capable of 200,300mile + contacts is even better,
but eventually we run out of time or road or whatever..

I still recommend reading the late W3IY - Bill Seabreeze's web page.
http://www.w1rt.us/w3iy/   . Bill would hit a TON of grids and even when he was
down on the middle Atlantic shore in the FM grids, we'd stand a chance of
working him up here in Maine. Read Bill's app note on rover yagi stacking too..
It contradicts a lot of the info out there and I've been working on a
presentation to show why - maybe get it to one of the conferences one of these
years.. Anyway, Bill turned in really great rover scores.. and he had fun too I
can assure you.

Anyway, yada yada..

bill, K1DY in Maine