[VHFcontesting] The Big Dial

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] The Big Dial
From: Lew Sayre <lew@dsl-only.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 13:34:14 -0700
Ladies, Gentlemen and others,
     When enjoying the VHF contest this weekend please utilize that big
round dial on your radio. Sitting/calling on the "calling frequencies" is a
silly thing to do as you will work only the other silly operators who only
sit on the one frequency on that band.
     Calling CQ Contest is part of the game but "hogging" the "calling
frequency" is not a desired action.  For new operators on the bands and for
crusty older operators who should know better calling out on calling
frequency and then instructing those who hear you and want to work you that
you will be "down 30 at 144.170" or "up 40 at 50.165" is the best way to
make contacts, share the band and actually work new people who will never
be able to work you on the calling frequency.
     Also on 6M please don't call for DX on the "DX calling frequency"
which is 50110.0. It doesn't work that way. If you hear  non-DX types
calling there please don't beat them with a stick until you explain how it
works and they continue to call. Then you may beat them.
     I understand that this is a radical contesting thing to do but turning
that big dial and making a lot of "DX QSOs" makes the game a lot more fun
for everybody. Tuning the band is an art form. Make some art this weekend.
     We are pleased that so many people have announced their activities and
routes and equipment. This should encourage everybody from the brand-new Op
to the most grizzled veteran to get on for a while and make a few QSOs.
     W7EW will be on the air throughout the contest time on any frequency
that you can hear W7EW on.  You'll get my grid when we exchange reports.
 Hope that you have fun and that we work each other...somewhere.
    73 and I remain,
   Lew
   W7EW