[VHFcontesting] 2013 Spring Sprints

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 2013 Spring Sprints
From: Spring Sprints <springvhfuhfsprints@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 11:33:58 -0500
As is my pattern, I am again delinquent is fulfilling some of my duties as
host for the Spring VHF/UHF Sprints. Thanks to others who have been
announcing/promoting them in my absence.

Full details are at
https://sites.google.com/site/springvhfupsprints/2013-announcement-rulesbut
here are some KEY
ITEMS

   - The Dates for 2013 have been announced correctly...this coming Monday
   evening, April 1st, is the 144 MHz Spring Sprint, 7-11pm LOCAL
time.(No, that is NOT an April Fools' Day joke ;-)

   - And, yes, that IS a FIFTEEN day break between 144 MHz and 222 MHz,
   with the 222 MHz Spring Sprint not being held until April 16th. That is
   being done to avoid conflicting with the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship
   game ("The Final Two") which is scheduled for Monday, April 8th.

   - Distance scoring continues for 2013; 1 point per km, based on
   SIX-Character Grid Locator distances.

PLEASE exchange SIX-Character Grid Locators AND record them in your logs.
This means to EXCHANGE all SIX Characters over the air and LOG what is
exchanged, do NOT use database look ups that may have the 5th and 6th
character. IF a station knows ONLY their FOUR-Character Grid Locator,
record JUST the FOUR characters. ALSO, if you use a logging program that
will not allow you to put all SIX Characters for YOUR Grid IN the Log (the
N3FJP VHF Logger being one logging program with which Spring Sprint
participants have experienced such difficulty, though it's possible that
the latest version 4.0 has addressed this), you MUST add a note (ideally a
line in the SOAPBOX: area of the log) with ALL SIX characters of YOUR
locator (or locatorS for Rovers). If your logging program won't allow you
to record ALL SIX characters then please consider using the Web-to-Cabrillo
forms (see below) to submit your entry. Or use a logging program that DOES
support SIX character Grid Locator reports, such as: N1MM Logger (check the
web site for the proper contest definition), W3KM's VHF LOG, or N1MU's
RoverLog (and there may be others).

While it presently still shows 2012, I do expect that Bruce Horn, WA7BNM,
will update the Spring Sprint Web to Cabrillo forms for 144 MHz by
Monday...go to http://www.b4h.net/cabforms/ and scroll down to the "VHF
Sprints" area and look for "201*3* 144 MHz Spring Sprint". (I expect that
Bruce will update the forms for other bands from 2012 to 2013 prior to
their dates, THANKS to Bruce for his support with the Cabrillo forms.)

E-Mail address for *Cabrillo* formatted logs: springsprintlogs@gmail.com

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE submit logs electronically in the Cabrillo format
but, if you MUST send a paper log, the requirement will again be that the
paper log be RECEIVED by the deadline, 14 days AFTER the contest. This
means April 15th for this year's 144 MHz Sprint, so plan on getting it IN
the mail ASAP (that is - postmarked WELL BEFORE April 15th). Mailing
address is:
     2013 Spring Sprints
     c/o Chuck Towner - W9KQJ
     PO BOX 73
     PALATINE, IL  60078-0073

For Rovers, they can be worked MULTIPLE times and the distance for ONE QSO
will count from each different FOUR-character Grid in which the Rover is
contacted. For example, I often visit EN62ad AND EN62aa in Sprints as a
Rover...since BOTH are EN62, only ONE could count as
distance (which would be checked to verify which was the longer distance)
BUT if I were ALSO contacted in EN61ax, EN51xx and EN52xa, the
distances for EACH of THOSE WOULD count. When contacting Rovers, remember
that Rovers are "new" stations when they move to a different FOUR-character
locator but PLEASE Exchange AND Record the ALL SIX Characters with/from the
Rover.

Regarding "assistance" - "Use of telephone, packet or internet methods to
schedule contacts during the contest IS acceptable. HOWEVER, The telephone,
packet or internet channel is NOT to be used while the contact is in
progress. No “OK I am hearing you now.” over the alternate (non amateur
radio) channel. The alternate (non amateur radio) channel SHALL NOT be
available in any way to the operator during the contact. The complete
exchange of call signs and SIX Character grids must be accomplished on the
relevant amateur radio band." This is essentially the SAME rule as the
Southeast VHF Society has for the Fall Sprints, though it is restricted to
ONLY the Microwave event for Fall...for Spring Sprints (and at least for
2013) this applies to ALL of the Spring Sprint events.

73, 'JK' (K9, that is), Spring Sprint host and log-checking human