Re: [VHFcontesting] January contest comments

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] January contest comments
From: N6FD <n6fd@hughes.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 21:14:12 -0800
On 1/31/2013 6:02 PM, Ralph Matheny K8RYU wrote:
I've not been following this thread very well, but here are my
comments, from the perspective of a casual contester, long-time VHFer
with a pretty good station, in a grid with little activity:

1)  VHF contests are generally a bore.  The whole structure of
the VHF contests needs a serious re-evaluation.  The exception
is the "Sprint" events which concentrate activity into a short
period on a single band.  That structure makes more sense.  It
is not unusual for me to make more Q's in the 222 Sprints than I
do in the January VHF Sweepstakes.

SNIP!

The only problem with sprint type events is that I would probably not get on the air. I live in a bowl, so any contesting activity is portable operation. It takes 4-6 hours to set up a reasonably competitive station, so doing that for each sprint is time prohibitive. (I know single band reduces the requirements, but I usually put several antennas on each mast, so its not that much different.) I also have to drive anywhere from 1 to 2 hours to a decent location for the contest. So doing this 4-6 times for each sprint just doesn't work.

73, Erich
N6FD, DM15bp