Re: [VHFcontesting] The January Contest

To: "'Tom Holmes'" <tholmes@woh.rr.com>, "'Kutzko, Sean, KX9X'" <kx9x@arrl.org>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] The January Contest
From: "Chet S" <chetsubaccount@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 09:50:57 -0500
Tom,

Thanks for this- my belief is that quite a majority of serious contesters
agree.

And with regard to some of the suggestions about changing the rules for
finding contacts, I feel this way:

The stated objective of the contest is indeed to work as many stations in as
many grids as possible (within the rules), just like any sport. The
objective of basketball is to make as many baskets as possible, within the
rules of the game. The event is after all organized sport, a competition,
it's game time. The rules of the game are defined. If someone would rather
line up and take turns shooting foul shots, fine, but that's not the game of
basketball.

I am not defending the present rules or against rules changes, but if a game
changes into something much less challenging or one that I would not like to
play, I won't. In the meantime I work hard to max my score in today's game,
and enjoy doing so. Read, and more importantly, understand the rules, and
get clever on how to max your effort. There is misunderstanding about what
is allowed and not. What do others do? What and how can you improve from
past contests? What did winning stations do? Compare notes with your
friendly competitor.

Contests are often slow the second day because you've worked a lot of those
active already. Is it the football games slowing the rate down? Here is my
data by hour and qso's. Where exactly is the dip from the game?

HR Q's
19 36
20 17
21 22