Re: [VHFcontesting] Internet assistance

To: Bob Burns W9RXR <w9rxr_@rlburns.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Internet assistance
From: "Mike (KA5CVH) Urich" <mike@ka5cvh.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 14:07:26 -0600
On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 4:42 AM, Bob Burns W9RXR <w9rxr_@rlburns.net> wrote:

> If rovers used APRS to beacon their positions, then you could run anyone of
> various Android or iOS APRS apps to see where they are on a map.

Mike wrote

True but you are assuming too much, this is the additional expense of
one more radio, tnc and antenna I have to deal with if I were to ever
get back into roving or even as a portable station. Sure the fixed
stations would love it but the expense is not coming out of their
pocket.  Also I imagine that a number of places people may want to
rove or operate portable from that there is a slim chance of being
able to get into APRS.  This is where a phone app would excel and I
already have a phone and service plan.

I can see being able to go to the app, select whether you are portable
<aka mobile NOT in motion>, mobile in motion, mobile but not
operating, or a fixed station.   The pin(s) would be different colors
to represent those choices, and like other pins in google maps you can
click on the pin and instead of business or other information it could
give you current lat-lon and any pre-programmed info such as what
bands you are operating on.

Or

I can also see building out an online map that people can go to with
their phone and see where fixed stations have entered their station
information and whether they are on the air or not.  Or if you plan to
go operate some remote grid or just operate portable from somewhere
you go put that information in ahead as well. You just turn that
location on when you get there and start to operate.  Import APRS data
and info from phones VIA a mobile app then 'voila ... this is the best
of everything.  I just don't have the smarts to make that work.

--
Mike "Molon Labe" Urich KA5CVH
http://ka5cvh.com

PIO STX-D14 S/E - APIC D1 & D14