[VHFcontesting] Internet Assistance, and Three Band Rover

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Internet Assistance, and Three Band Rover
From: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 11:27:04 -0600
As usual, I concur with every word that K5QE has to say on the subject of Internet Assistance. I also think it's vital to have VUAC representation that comprises members who are active on Meteor Scatter and EME. Unless you operate the WSJT modes often, it's easy to be persuaded by arguments that simply don't match up with reality.

Any way we can get Marshall elected to the VUAC? :-)

Also, while I'm a big fan of the 222 Band, I understand the argument that it runs counter to the intention of the "Limited Rover" category. I would be very much in favor of eliminating that band from the category, and making it match the "Three Band" category for fixed stations.

Rover activity has declined to nearly nothing in our area. I didn't work a single rover during this contest, and it certainly puts a damper on the fun. Anything that would make it easier for stations to get involved with roving would be a game changer.

Keep in mind that by adding 222, you've now crossed into the area where a rover has to add a transverter, and an amp in order to be competitive. While I explain that hooking up transverters is about as difficult as hooking up an old stereo, it still represents a significant barrier to a lot of hams.

But I also understand Chet's point about the trend in our society to reward "participation" instead of genuine achievement. Certainly we don't want to fall into that trap. But our current rules seem to set up a situation where someone who is first getting involved has to compete with seasoned veterans. Often with much deeper wallets, and years of experience. It's hardly a level playing field.

I don't want everyone to get a trophy, but I don't want NFL players to be lining up against the pee-wee team either. It seems to me that a lot of the rules are designed to provide protectionism for experienced contesters. Instead of fostering competition, some seem to be more interested in maintaining their status at the top of the very small list of published stations in QST.

Something else that CQ gets right. Nearly everyone has a chance of seeing their callsign in print---while the ARRL is more interested in devoting eight pages per issue to fund-raising instead of publishing contest results.

In summary, I'd give the new categories an "A" for innovation. But CQ Communications still remains at the head of the
class when it comes to VHF/UHF Contesting.

73,

Les N1LF
EM63