[VHFcontesting] QUAGI'S

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] QUAGI'S
From: Cal Zethmayr <w4gmh@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 5:47:21 -0500
Has anyone on this list built a Quagi?

How about a dual polarized one?

A few years ago I bought a used M2 dual polarized beam (originally used for
sattellite work) and one of the engineers at M2 helped me with info on making
two separate baluns so I could modify it to be either vertical or horizontal
polarization. We installed it at the top of our Christmas tree beam arrangement
at our club station.  Using a remote relay control we can use it vertical
(switch position #1) or horizontal (switch position #2). of course we tweaked
the tuning so the horizontal is best at the low end of two meters.

NOW... I have planned on building a 20+ element Quagi to go up at the 125 ft
level on the Rohn 45 that is going up at my QTH this summer.

AND I wonder if it would be possible to make it a dual polarized version?  the
alternative of course would be two quagi's with one being vertical and the
other horizontal.  A friend of mine has a double quagi (both are vertical
polarization) and he works into our repeater with 3 watts... over a distance of
37 miles.

The tricky part would be the design of the driven quad ...  with two different
feed points... and having a relay mounted very near the boom.
By the way, I will be using a long length of fibreglass high pressure gas line
for the boom.  That is what the guy who built the side by side quagi's gave me,
and what he used on his pair.   It only weighs 5 lbs!

any suggestions anyone?

Cal Z
W4GMH
Crestview Florida