[VHFcontesting] Advice for new VHF Logging Software

To: "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Advice for new VHF Logging Software
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 21:10:47 -0500
I'm both a casual VHF contester, and an avid DX'er. My primary pursuit is to
achieve VUCC on as many bands as possible, but I enjoy a good showing in the
contests too. I have nearly ZERO interest in HF contesting, and do very
little HF operating since discovering the "World Above 50 MHz" four years
ago. (To think I wasted nearly four decades on HF)

To date, I've been using the N3FJP's Amateur Contact Log 3.0 has my main VHF
logging software, and his "VHF Log 2.8" for VHF Contests. While the AC 3.0
logs remains a great log for general DXing, and keeping track of grids
worked/confirmed, the VHF Log 2.8 is in serious need of an update. I've
contacted Scott and unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be enough interest
in the product for him to justify an update.

That means I'm in the market for a new VHF Logging software program,
especially for contests. Here are my primary requirements:

1.) Ease of use. I don't want to have to spend hours learning new software.

2.) Must be able to accurately track the major VHF contests, and provide
real-time feedback on scoring, grids worked, help to eliminate dupes, etc.
"Running the bands" in the log has got to be fast and easy.

3.) Easy updating of Logbook of the World (LOTW) within the log software.

4.) Tracking progress towards VUCC awards would be a huge plus.

5.) Database of active stations and a callsign lookup feature of active VHF
stations would be another huge plus.

I'm open to recommendations from the group. Your advice has always been
great and most welcome in the past. Thanks in advance.

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114