[VHFcontesting] Rover rigs

To: vhf contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Rover rigs
From: Rick R <rick1ds@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 12:48:25 -0400
I have used a venerable FT736R with modules for 6-2-222-432 with a brick
amp/preamp for the lower 4 for the past  12 years without any problems. They
certainly work fine for a rover, although they are not super "contest rigs" and
they are older (25+yr) technology, but work fine, quick bandswitching,
memories, and do all modes (you have both 222SSB/CW and FM).
I also have used my FT100D and an FM box for 222 as an alternative. My son uses
an FT857 and 222 FM box. Many are using a TS2000(x) and a transverter for FM.
I built up my micrwave capabilities with an FT100D as IF and a series of DEMI
transverters and amps. I am gong to try to use a FLEX 1500 in place of the
FT100D now.
It really doesn't matter what you use--go out and give it a try with what you
have without a big new investment and then see what you like and what needs
improvement and modify from there. You MUST have 6m available and 2m as the
basis for any VHF activity, and you have that already. Also try to have a
laptop and logging program. Many roving programs available. I use KM Rover.
Watch for laptop noise on you rigs! You may need an inverter to keep the laptop
on or extended periods. Get a spare deep-discharge battery and charging scheme.
73, Rick, K1DS