[VHFcontesting] Android Phone app that displays grid square to six digit

To: "VHF List Non-Contest" <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, "VHF Contesting List" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Android Phone app that displays grid square to six digits
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 12:07:31 -0500
With a nod of thanks to Austin, K4AMK, I'd like to pass along a great
application for rovers, microwave gurus, and those who just enjoy knowing what
grid square they're in.

Look on the application marketplace and search for "GPS Test", it's a free
application and it works great. Accuracy is dependent on the quality of the
receiver in your individual phone, but I've compared it to my trusty Garmin
while out driving today and they seemed to always be in agreement.

This application will display which satellites are being received. Signal
strength for each one, accuracy in feet, speed of travel, GPS time, and grid
square to six digits.

It will also do other nifty and useful things like calculate sunrise and sunset
at your location, show you UTC time, along with local time, and even has a
color scheme to help preserve your night vision when using the application
after dark.

For my rover station, it allows me to carry one less piece of equipment, which
is great. For those who didn't already own the Garmin, it can save you $60
bucks.

I'm sure that there is something similar for the Iphone too. I have no
connection to the developer, or Android...just thought it was a great resource
for rovers and hams in general.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF/R

Les Rayburn, Director