Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom 7000 as a VHF contesting rig

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom 7000 as a VHF contesting rig
From: Sebastian <w4as@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 18:39:10 -0400
Unless you plan to use it mobile, I would spend an extra $100-$200 for what a
used IC-7000 goes for, and get a used Kenwood TS-2000.

I used to have an IC-7000, but found it gets very hot even in casual use.  So
much so that I had to place a computer CPU fan on the heatsink at the back.

I have an FT-857D that I use as a mobile rig in my car, but only use it on HF,
where I have had excellent results. The FT-100D is discontinued, and the finals
on the 706 have been discontinued, so be careful if you buy a used one.

73 de W4AS