Re: [VHFcontesting] Getting beginners interested in VHF Contesting

To: "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Getting beginners interested in VHF Contesting
From: "Gabor Horvath" <ve7dxg@rac.ca>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 12:46:50 -0800
From: "David Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Cc: "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2010 5:42 PM

> Lacking such an antenna, I think WA5VJB's "Cheap Yagis" are a great way
> to get started for low $$$.  I'm gonna try to build a few this summer
> for two reasons: 1) To see for myself how reproduceable these antennas
> are, and 2) to have some antennas I can loan out if any of my "Joe706"
> friends wanna try VHF contesting.
>
> Just my $0.02
>
> 73, Dave/K8CC

That's exactly what I'll be doing hopefully in time for the 2m Spring
Sprint. I have 4-5 guys interested in becoming "captive rovers" (just
kidding about the captive part). Now I just have to dust off the 2m
microwave driver rigs and organize a QSO party on the local skihill.
QST says there is an increase in the number of new licensees, now it's our
job to elmer these folks into the VHF world. I think most of us on this list
have an old all-mode rig (or two) kicking around in the garage that could be
loaned out to a newbie.

73,
Gabor, VE7DXG, CN88eu