Re: [VHFcontesting] 70 cm power restrictions/Pave Paws

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 70 cm power restrictions/Pave Paws
From: R Johnson <k1vu@tmlp.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 21:00:32 -0500
Hi Jon:
A few things come to mind:
-EME CW has a very low duty cycle, FM approaches 100%
-EME Beam width is Narrow (we hope, with no side lobes), FM strives for
Omni-directional.
-EME CW & PSK31 are very narrow bandwidth signals, FM is wide band.
-EME Elevation usually high and variable, FM Elevation most always low.
-EME Azimuth Variable, FM Azimuth Fixed.

My guess is if you were running 1/4 Megawatt (1.5 KW and ~22 DBd antenna gain)
you probably wouldn't be a problem to Pave Paws if you were judicious when
aiming
your (well designed and documented) array.

My GUT feel is that you will just show up as random noise to Pave Paws, while
an FM repeater will look like a continuous birdie.

Depending on their DSP Algorithms, I don't think you will look like an incoming
ICBM.
OTOH, an FM Repeater that's a problem might trigger "Missile Alert, Missile
Alert" !!!

YMMV!!!

Don't forget to lie, plead ignorance or say the dog eat your " FCC Rule Book"
:-).

73
Bob, K1VU