Re: [VHFcontesting] FCC Frequency Allocation Map for 70 cm 10 years out

To: "'James Duffey'" <jamesduffey@comcast.net>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FCC Frequency Allocation Map for 70 cm 10 years out of date
From: "Jon Casamajor" <k6el@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:19:23 -0800
Comments inserted below...

 73, Jon
 K6EL

-----Original Message-----
From: James Duffey [mailto:jamesduffey@comcast.net]
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 12:55 PM
To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Cc: James Duffey; k6el@comcast.net

Jon - You suggested referring to the 70 cm allocation map on the FCC web
site:

        "the limits include a lot more than 100 miles around Otis.  Here is
        link to the map showing where the restrictions apply. The area
around Otis
        is a pretty small percentage of the total. As noted, there were more
than
         repeaters affected in Northern California. A recent report locally
is
        that virtually all of the interference within the ham band is now
gone.'

        "Here is the map...

        < http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/maps/us7/ > "

        73, Jon
         K6EL"

That map in the URL is 10 years out of date, having been posted January 13,
2000. Footnote US7 has been changed several times since then, most notably,
for me at least, to include the entire state of NM. I have sent several
e-mails to the FCC over the past few years pointing this out, and even got
back an acknowledgement once, but the page with the erroneous data remains.
Jon≫ Just finding ANY information on this subject has been difficult at
best. The up to date information is included in the URL I quoted in my
e-mail earlier to the list, but is much harder to find on the FCC web page.
One would think that they would have as a goal disseminating timely and
accurate information on their web site to ensure compliance. [Jon>]  One
would think that but remember that it is the GOVERNMENT who is here to help!
I think that the emphasis was on dealing with the repeater owners and
trustees rather than Joe user.

As the correct data is much harder to find on the FCC web site, perhaps
someone at the ARRL could step up and generate a similar, but correct map,
on their web site, and perhaps publish one whenever changes occur in "The
World Above 50 MHz" in QST. - Duffey[Jon>]  Excellent idea and I would
second that suggestion. I think W3ZZ may be a subscriber to this list. It
would also be very helpful if there was a page with current information on
this subject on the ARRL web site. When I do a search on the ARRL page there
are dozens of mentions scattered all over the place. I agree some
consolidation, maybe in QST, would be very helpful. I would also like to see
some specific attention paid to the weak signal elements. Most if not all of
the articles are focused on FM repeaters running Omni directional antennae.

--
KK6MC
James Duffey