Re: [VHFcontesting] Rovers and the Authorites

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rovers and the Authorites
From: Jeff Thomas <wa4zko@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 13:51:46 -0700 (PDT)
While I'm sure every state is different, here in Kentucky "ham radio" comes up
from time to time during the training law enforcement and the Fire/EMS service
folks go through. It's usually just a mention of us and how we can come to play
during a major disaster when communications are disrupted. Often "ham radio"
comes up during ICS (Incident Command System) training and large scale disaster
response is being covered. Not that this makes the average beat cop an expert
on ham radio, but it would not be their first encounter with the term "ham
radio."

My approach has always been:

1. Be nice and open with them. Keep your hands in sight and don't be reaching
for stuff in your vehicle as they approach. Cops are trained to watch your
hands and body language as they approach you initially. How things go during
this initial approach can set the tone of what is to follow ;-)

2.  Put yourself in the cop's shoes. He's approaching you most likely
thinking "what in the heck is this guy doing" (I'm using G rated
language here). Put simply, there's nothing normal looking about the
average rover's vehicle, you are going to attract attention.

3.  Show them your ham license and explain what you're doing in general terms
they can relate to. Explain that these efforts help us test our equipment, it's
range, and that such "tests" can help us help our communities when a
communications emergency arises. They can relate to this. Treat it as a
goodwill and "teachable moment" for ham radio rather than a disruption. You may
very well be the cop's first encounter with an actually ham radio operator and
you know what they say about first impressions ;-)

4. Obviously realize that you could be watched (from afar) even if you're not
approached, act accordingly, clean up before leaving the site/stop, don't
create a safety/traffic issue, and be careful of accidentally trespassing..

5.  In our post 9/11 world, if you're on or near a bridge, tunnel, or other
potential terrorist target...you should expect to attract EXTRA "attention"
from the folks in blue ;-) You may even be asked to move along, don't argue
(doesn't ever help).. just politely move on. If you feel you were treated
wrongly, there's a better time and place to deal with it.

73
Jeff
WA4ZKO

http://twitter.com/wa4zko