Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover/EMCOMM Vehicle Visibility

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover/EMCOMM Vehicle Visibility
From: James French <w8iss@wideopenwest.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 12:33:18 -0400
The marking on vehicles I would not do, but the vest idea is a good one
depending on where you are.

As for marking, I would probably just stay with the magnets that I have that
state what frequency I am on. Have one for each band that I operate on and
only place them out on the tailgate around the callsign plate. That's the only
markings I do to my vehicle and it doesn't draw much attention other than all
the antennas on the roof.

I have a lime-green vest from when I lived in the Tampa area and that is
what the local ARES was going with at that time. All it says is COMMUNICATIONS
on it, nothing else!! I have used it a number of times when I have stopped to
help someone with a flat tire just so that I could be seen, nothing more. They
usually asked why the vest says what it does and as I help out, I explain
about Ham radio.

I don't do enough about roving but the idea of a vest that could be seen no
matter where you operate is probably a good safety idea.

James W8ISS