[VHFcontesting] SteppIR's on 6m

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] SteppIR's on 6m
From: James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 22:02:28 -0600
The only experience I have with STEPP-IRs on 6M is with a friends 2
element version, which gave reasonable results, that is it behaved
like I expected a 2 element beam to behave.

So I can't give you direct experience, but I can give you some things
to think about.

Instead of comparing the STEPP-IRs to each other, you should probably
be comparing them to the antennas you have up and want to replace with
the STEPP-IRs. Any of the models will be better than your dipole on
40M, assuming any one of them are mounted at the same height. They
will all be better than your log periodic on 20M -10M. You get 30M for
free. So that leaves 6M. I don't know what 5 element design you have,
but I doubt that the DB-18 or 3 element STEPP-IR, both of which are 16
ft long and really 4 elements on 6 M will be the equal of your 5
element beam. Assuming that both antennas are reasonably well
designed, you can get a good idea of their relative performance by
comparing the boom lengths.

That said, a dB or two on 6M is probably more significant,
particularly in contesting than twice that or more on 40M.
Particularly if you don't contest much on 40M.

You will spend a lot more time operating than laying the tower over,
so I would say that the long boom length, an advantage on 6M, should
not be counted as a negative.

I think the big issue with the Stepp IRs is whether or not you want to
take on have moving parts driven by an electromechanical mechanism up
in the air where they can't be fixed easily. But for multiple bands
STEPP-IR has managed the compromises inherent in those designs rather
well. - Duffey
--
KK6MC
James Duffey